削除キー 項目の保存
こちらの質問に対しての答えはこちらになります。是非有効なお返事をしてあげてください。

質問:
投稿者: 一般仁

ダニエルさん

何度もしつこくすみません。お時間のあるときで構いませんので、ご回答ください。

前にダニエルさんは、"I've studied English for four days and I'm still doing it."について、

I would make it

"I've [been] stud[ying] English [on my own] for [four] days [now] and I'm still doing it."

- "been studying" because you still study it

と言っておられましたね。つまり、"you still study it"の場合は、下記(1)ではなく(2)にするということですね。

(1)△ or × I've studied English for four day and I'm still doing it.

(2)○ I've [been] stud[ying] English [on my own] for [four] days [now] and I'm still doing it."

ということは、"I've studied English for four days."は "I stopped"の意味を含んでいるということになりませんか:

(3) I've studied English for four days but I stopped.

よろしくお願いいたします。

記事番号:24834

重要度:☆

2014年07月09日 (水) 21時46分

答え:
投稿者: Daniel Boone

>これはつまり、"you still study it"の場合は、下記(1)ではなく(2)にするということですね。
>(1) I've studied English for four day and I'm still doing it.
>(2) I've [been] stud[ying] English [on my own] for [four] days [now] and I'm still doing it."

Yes, I would go with #2 in this case. Some verbs, especially that imply a currently active participation, sound better in the “have been ___ing” form. However, some verbs sound better in the “have ___ed” form. Note the difference in the following:

1. I’ve lived in Japan for five years now, and I think it’s time for me to move back to Canada.
2. I’ve only been living in Japan for five days but I love it here already.

#1 implies a longer period of time--as well as being at or toward the end--of involvement.
#2 is for a much shorter period of time that the speaker has been in Japan, and the implication is that he will continue to live there.

Going back to the two examples you give above, the other difference between the two forms is that if you said “I've studied English for four days,” without more, you would not know what happened after four days. On the other hand, by saying “I've [been] stud[ying] English [on my own] for [four] days [now],” one can infer that the speaker intends to continue studying.

>ということは、I've studied English for four days.は、次の(3)のようであればOKと言うことになりませんか?
>(3)I've studied English for four days but I stopped.

In this case, I would go with “I studied English for four days but stopped”. With simple sentences, I’d use the past tense: “I drove for four days to get from Los Angeles to Chicago.” These two sentences imply that the event occurred recently.

However, if someone asked you “Have you ever studied English?” you could answer by saying “Yes, I have studied English once, but it was only for four days and I was only in the fifth grade.” Here, the event took place many years previously.

It all depends on the situation. I can’t explain the rule because no one ever explained to me what the rules are, but I learned by reading and listening to others. Sorry it has to be more difficult than it needs to be.

記事番号:24835

2014年07月10日 (木) 05時56分
(67)

答え:
投稿者: 一般仁

ダニエルさん、長文の説明、ありがとう。現在完了形の理解に大変参考になります。感謝いたします。

(1)I have studied English for 3 years.(When we assume it is continuative)(習慣が安定したものとして捉えられているが故に、状態と同じでどこを切っても金太郎飴のマンネリ化した、味気ない表現:I've known him for 10 years.と同じ)
(2) I have been studying English for 3 years.(習慣が安定しないと捉えられているが故に、変化を伴いイキイキとした(vividな)表現。また変化を伴う故に変化の代表格である終了点が背景に意識されている)
(3) I have been studying English for two hours.(一回限りの行為:いつか終わるという意味において(2)と同様に安定はしていない)

の関係は、"I'm studying English."と"I study English."の関係と似ている気がします。たとえば、

I usually study English once a week but since I have an English exam next month, I'm studying English every day.(英文はネイティブに確認済み)

における、"I'm studying English."は「一回限りの行為((3)に相当)」も、「一時的習慣((2)に相当)」も表せるけど、"I study English"は「(永続的)習慣((1)に相当)のみです。

こう考えるてくるとなんだかすべてが芋づる式に繋がっていて面白いですね。

ダニエルさん、ありがとうございました。

記事番号:24837

2014年07月10日 (木) 14時05分
(80)

Number
Pass

ThinkPadを買おう!
レンタカーの回送ドライバー
【広告】楽天市場にて 母の日向けギフト値引きクーポン配布中
無料で掲示板を作ろう   情報の外部送信について